JMBLYA hosts jumble of artists

Max Domel, Staff Writer

Every spring, usually during the first weekend of May, Austin-based organization Scoremore Shows puts on their annual JMBLYA hip-hop festival at the Fair Park Coliseum in Dallas and Circuit of the Americas in Austin, catering to the large but often skipped over local fanbases.

JMBLYA was first a set at SXSW in 2011 called “Sunday Swagger” that featured rappers Big Sean and Kendrick Lamar, as well as DJs Skrillex and Steve Aoki. Then it officially became “Jambalaya” and included a now nonexistent stop in Houston. JMBLYA’s unique name came from the fact that there was a diverse mixture of artists combined into one concert, similar to the food. The festival was founded by University of Texas graduate Sascha Stone Guttfreund and his roommate’s high school friend Claire Bogle in 2009. Guttfreund now manages rapper Tory Lanez and Bogle is the manager of singer Kali Uchis. Originally, their main focus was to give an easily accessible experience to rap and electronic dance music (EDM) fans throughout Texas by offering lower ticket prices and showcasing both nationally popular and local, unknown artists. In its first year, the attendance was only around 6,000 people, but doubled by 2015 and surpassed 25,000 in 2016. In the future, JMBLYA is expected to expand to El Paso and San Antonio.

The majority of the festival’s audience is typically high school and college students. This year, sophomore Anna Thomas is going because of her excitement to see the popular musical festival again with 2019’s “fun” lineup.

“I love music festivals in general and I think the lineup will be really fun to watch this year,” Thomas said. “I’m really looking forward to seeing Lil Wayne because I didn’t get a chance to see him when he performed at ACL and I think it’s going to be an amazing show.”

On the other hand, sophomore Ella Jarnigan is not going to JMBLYA as a fan, but as an invited guest who feels that it is an important cultural event to attend in her life.

“My friend had an extra ticket and it sounded like a fun time,” Jarnigan said. “I’ve never gone before, but I probably wouldn’t go if I had to pay because I’ve heard bad things about it and I don’t usually listen to rap music. Honestly I think JMBLYA is kind of stupid but I feel like I have to go at least once just for the experience.”

Besides Lil Wayne, JMBLYA’s full 2019 lineup includes other headliner and Houston native Travis Scott, Kevin Gates, Gunna, Sheck Wes, YoungBoy Never Broke Again, Bhad Bhabie, City Girls, Blueface, Houston rapper Maxo Kream, P-Lo, Austin rapper WhooKilledKenny and Dallas artist 10K.Caash. A trio of “special guests” will also be performing, consisting of DaBaby, JPEGMAFIA, and nationwide sensation Lil Nas X, the artist behind “Old Town Road.” Some of the most famous artists that have participated in previous years range from Chance The Rapper and Post Malone to J. Cole, Migos and Cardi B more recently.
Every artist on the JMBLYA lineup this year is appearing at the festival for the first time except for Travis Scott and Kevin Gates, returning for a second and third time, respectively. Scott is known for his highly successful 2018 album “Astroworld” and popular song “Sicko Mode,” whereas Gates is more popular for “Really Really” and “2 Phones,” his two major singles from 2016. Although he has already gained legendary status in hip-hop culture, Lil Wayne will take the JMBLYA stage for the first time in 2019.

One of the supporting acts this year is Gunna, famous for his 2018 album “Drip Harder” with Lil Baby and songs “Never Recover” with Drake and “Drip Too Hard.” Sheck Wes became most prominent after his single “Mo Bamba” entered the Billboard Hot 100 top ten and took over the music business in 2018. The song has now been streamed on Spotify over 400 million times. Blueface’s rise to fame was very similar to the journey of Sheck Wes, being known for his hit song “Thotiana” and distinct style that involves complex punchlines while rapping offbeat. YoungBoy Never Broke Again has released many popular mixtapes and is more of a beloved underground favorite due to his unique melodic trap sound.

One of the more surprising artists on the lineup this year is Bhad Bhabie who has managed to build a stable career in the rap game even after solely being known as the “cash me outside girl.” Other artists on this year’s lineup include rising female hip-hop duo City Girls who have a popular song featuring Cardi B; Maxo Kream, prominent young Houston rapper; and P-Lo, who is gaining attention for carrying the funky sound of the Bay Area in California. The two local acts this year are WhooKilledKenny, who is a lesser-known rapper from Austin, and 10K.Caash from Dallas who is credited with originating the global dance challenge, “The Woah.”

However, no matter which artist is performing, the youthful spirit of the festival will be present for all to enjoy and experience. Thomas said it is one of her favorite aspects of JMBLYA.

“My favorite part about the festival atmosphere is definitely the enthusiasm everyone has, especially at JMBLYA where the crowd is mostly filled with younger people,” Thomas said. “We all share the same energy and overall it is a great experience.”