Soundcloud Opens New Doors for Aspiring Rappers

Diego Prozzi, Staff Writer

Technological advancements allow teenagers to more easily experiment with online music production programs. A group of LASA students use digital programs to create music to upload to the streaming program SoundCloud.

Aspiring rapper and freshman Arjun Yenamandra (AJ), also known by his stage name “ScuffGod” frequently makes songs and posts them online. He makes his music at home over the weekends with his own personal equipment and collaborates with Austin High student Luke Foster (Lukedrank), McCallum students Eli Betton and JD Jordan who formed Kachang Beats, and LASA freshman Saint John Naftel (SJ, SaintJBeats). Whenever Yenamandra wants to make a new song, he usually reaches out to one of these people first. He has a few songs featuring Lukedrank and many produced by SaintJBeats and Kachang Beats. Although he posts the majority of his music on SoundCloud, he also has some songs available on Spotify and Apple Music.

Currently, Yenamandra makes music mainly for friends to hear. However, he would eventually like to expand to bigger audiences.

“I make music for fun, but it would be nice to get a big song once in a while,” Yenamandra said.

Yenamandra said that at his old school he would work on his music during a music production class. Unfortunately, there is no class available at LASA that teaches students how to use music software such.

SJ Naftel says that his ambitious nature has helped find his passion to be a successful producer. This would also allow for a prosperous life, according to Naftel.

“I want to change the world and music,” Naftel said. “Money and fame come with that. I’ve always been ambitious.”

Naftel’s passion for making music came from hearing artists talk about production. Some of his major musical influences have been rappers Kanye West and Travis Scott.

“Listening to Kanye West and Travis Scott talk about their process [was inspiring],” Naftel said. “I already loved music so it was just a matter of learning it.”

SJ has sold his beats to about 25 people so far. SJ also said that it has been a hassle for him to manage his time between music and school.

Freshman Rohan Shah has known SJ and AJ since middle school, where he would often provide input and participate in the music production studio. Shah believes that SJ has a future as a musician.

“When he drops something new I always have to listen to it,” Shah said. “I think [his beats are] really good. I think he has a future in music.”
Freshman Myra Karpinski wasn’t a fan of SJ’s music in the past. With the freshman progressing as a producer, she is willing to give him another try.

“He hasn’t released new music in a while,” Karpinski said. “His other music was pretty bad, but I think he might be improving. I think that he should write another song.”