Advice Column

Commentary Editors

How do I Find a College I Like?

As the end of the school year approaches and seniors begin to visit the college center less frequently, juniors may find themselves asking how they can determine if a college is the right fit. Now, the first and immediate factor that I would research is the school’s academic department. A school should have an established program for whatever major you plan on entering. Make sure to research the specific requirements that are needed to complete the degree you’re looking into, and consider the school’s resources. For instance, do they provide strong academic support for classes you may struggle in? Would you enjoy learning from the professors and classes offered in their undergraduate studies?

In addition, another factor to consider when exploring college is its location. As a student with newly found free time, you are going to want to explore your surroundings and enjoy yourself. You may find yourself wanting to take up summer internships or even find a part-time job to help cover living expenses. Whatever you decide will ultimately depend on your location. If you attend a small, rural liberal arts school and want to intern with a large non-profit or corporation, you may find your options lacking in such departments. However, if you’re attending college in a major urban area, you will likely find ample opportunities for whatever you may want to do. All together, these two factors are the most important things to consider to ensure a wonderful college experience.

How do I Manage Senioritis?

Senioritis has arrived and is in the air. For countless seniors, the pressure of maintaining perfect grades and attending class has evaporated into thin air. Yet, for some reason, the workload in our classes has remained constant. Seniors of LASA, as much as it pains me to admit, we are not yet done. It’s difficult to feel so close to the finish line while still having so much to do, but we just have to learn to deal with it.

It may be helpful to break out your homework into smaller, more manageable blocks. Another tactic that can help with Senioritis is simply finding time to make a list of things you’re excited for in your future. Personally, I am fond of the latter. As seniors, we have finished one of the most crucial points in our life. While I have not found myself that appreciative of our remaining heavy workload, I try to remain positive and find events to look forward to.

It’s important that we all understand that just because we’re waiting for what is supposed to be one of the most rewarding and exciting moments in our life, that we have other things that matter just as much. Keep it up, and remember to enjoy your last couple months of high school!