The Problem With Grades

Madeleine Van Slyke, Staff Writer

Throughout their education, students are taught that school is the most important thing in their lives. High school students, especially, are constantly reminded that the grades they receive determine their future and that if they fail, there can be lasting consequences.

Many students, including myself, struggle with mental health disorders that make school seem like an impossible task some days. In a study done by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, one in six students had enough symptoms and impairment to meet the criteria for one or more mental disorders. Additionally, an estimated 2.2 million American adolescents aged 12 to 17 had at least one major depressive episode with severe impairment. These impediments can hugely damage students’ performance in school. Low motivation and even suicidal thoughts are a common symptom of depression, and only 19% of all teens will receive help from a professional during their school years. 

According to a study conducted by the University of Phoenix College of Education, the average high school student spends 17.5 hours on homework each week during the current COVID-19 pandemic. Compared to a previous study done by the National Center for Education Statistics that showed high school students spent an average of 6.8 hours on homework each week, the increase has been huge.

Now, with school being online for many, it seems a more daunting task than ever. A survey by the University of Colorado at Boulder found that students have felt a lack of motivation since the beginning of the pandemic. I have found myself not attending online Zoom meetings simply because it feels like more of an option than something that can impact my future. The social aspect of attending school was an incentive that allowed me to feel attending was important, and now that that has been taken away, it is sometimes hard to find a reason to study for my math test or do my English homework. A lack of motivation can not only be linked to depression and other disorders, but also to losing what made school bearable — friends. 

School pressure, relationships, a lack of coping skills and bullying are also major contributors that can harm teens’ mental health. Feeling as if you have to get an A or else be considered a failure is a lot of pressure to put on young minds. Many high school students, especially at LASA, give in to the idea that if they don’t have a 4.0 GPA and go to an Ivy League college, their life will have been inconsequential. 

I’ve found that being outside is something that really helps me relax and stay grounded, so I try to go out as much as I can. But as school has become more time-consuming, I haven’t been able to do so as much. This has had a negative affect on my own mental circumstances. Many of those I know, including myself, have put school before other things, including ourselves and our mental health. Almost every day I hear many teens echoing my own thoughts: “I didn’t get any sleep last night,” “I feel so stressed” and “I can’t handle this.” It’s not stubbornness or not wanting to do work — it’s the effect of feeling as though one’s life revolves around academics.

And I’m not alone. As students get more and more work to do after school, they are spending less and less time outside. This increased time spent indoors is causing lasting mental issues. According to Newport Academy, the excessive amount of time adolescents spend either doing homework or on screens has caused an uptick in mental health issues. This is referred to as “nature deficit disorder,” which refers to a lack of outdoor time that results in a wide range of behavioral and mental health problems, including depression.

So I try to take a deep breath. Maybe once a week, I go out on a bike ride. Maybe singing is something that helps you, so you plan a virtual karaoke party with your friends. I make time for self-care, not grades. We think that if we get bad grades, we are a failure, but really, failing ourselves is so much worse. We’re growing up in a world where we have so many stressors, so many things that consume our time and push us away from ourselves. It is vital that we consciously remember to be ourselves and take time to do the things we love.