Finally Thriving: Nia’s 30

Nia Orakwue, Lead Editor

Now that we’re approaching graduation, I am able to reflect on my experiences at LASA with much more clarity. Like many others, high school was nothing like what I had learned to expect from teen movies and YA novels. As one of few Black students here, I was forced to learn lessons of sacrifice, resilience and believing in yourself despite seemingly constant doubt from others in order to succeed. I’m glad I learned these lessons early, but I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that it wasn’t easy. For many months at a time a supportive, uplifting or familiar figure at school was hard to come by. So I built up my own confidence solely on the support of my parents and all the self-generated, internal confidence my 15-year-old self could muster. 

That all being said, I could not be more grateful for what my experience at LASA has afforded me. I am a completely different person from who I was when I first arrived, from the way I approach problems and see the world to the way I view myself. I was lucky enough to have many passionate and extremely intelligent teachers who exposed me to different modes of thinking. I was able to explore my love for sciences and later seamlessly shift my focus to writing and poetry. I found a family on the lacrosse team and on the Liberator staff that have never failed to lift my mood when I need it. While some days were definitely more isolating than others, I am so grateful to have received an experience that pushed me to grow in so many unforeseen ways. I was faced with situations and environments that may not be meant for me, and I am proud to say that not only did I get through it; I am thriving.