Best of Both Worlds: Abigail’s 30

Abigail Jackson, Sports Editor

I’ve always loved sports. I’ve played soccer for the past 14 years, I closely follow professional sports and there’s no other way I would want to spend my day than at a live sporting event. I have a ton of school spirit, went to almost every LBJ and LASA football game, and I’ve played for the LASA soccer team all four years of high school. Reading and writing have also always been some of my favorite activities, so signing up to join the newspaper only seemed natural.

The first article that I ever wrote for the Sports section was about the Houston Astros’ devastating loss to the Washington Nationals in the final game of the 2019 World Series. Astros fandom runs in my blood, and I was so excited to get to write about something I was really passionate about. I worked so hard on that article and finished it in just a few days, and I was already hooked on writing for Sports. I enjoyed interviewing athletes and coaches across the school, and I learned a lot about the LASA/LBJ split and about what it takes to establish a school’s athletics program. In the process of all of this, I learned about journalistic practices and how to improve my writing.

Becoming a Sports editor in my senior year was the best of both worlds. I got to be a part of the Liberator and to contribute to an amazing publication, and I got to keep up with LASA and with professional sports. Throughout my time as a Sports editor, I’ve learned a lot not only about what it takes to create the newspaper, but about the different athletes around LASA. I’m going to miss the community here at the Liberator, but I can’t wait to see what the future holds for both me and the Lib!