Movie Lovers Rejoice as Theaters Begin Reopening

Rebecca Scaramuzzi, Club Contributor

Dim lights, loud speakers, a large screen, fresh popcorn and a cold soda have been staples of the movie theater experience since it’s become a mainstream outing. Whether you go once a year or once a week, there is always something to watch at the movie theater. 

Since the COVID-19 pandemic hit and movie theaters were forced to close, plans to go to movie theaters have been limited. However, starting a couple of months ago, more and more movie theaters have started to re-open.

This has likely been welcome news for frequent moviegoers who were unable to visit their favorite theaters during the pandemic. First-year Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary student Sydney Harkrider, who enjoys movies and used to work at several different movie theaters, said she was deeply impacted by the widespread closure of theaters.

“It was honestly tragic,” Harkrider said. “I was actually at an Alamo Drafthouse watching Sonic last year when I got the notification that businesses were starting to close. I had no idea that moment of being in a movie theater, something so completely normal for me, would be something I genuinely couldn’t do anymore. It was heartbreaking as someone who has tons of friends and even family who work at different movie theaters. Everyone lost their jobs and were all wondering when life could continue again.”

Junior Shivani Regan hasn’t been to a movie theater since the COVID-19 pandemic began. With theaters starting to reopen, though, she is looking forward to finally being able to have the movie theater experience again soon. 

“Just being able to watch a movie uninterrupted and in a quiet space and on such a big screen; because watching a movie on a big screen that’s four times the size of the one you have at home is a really cool experience,” Regan said.

However, people planning to return to theaters are still aware of possible health concerns. According to Regan, though, there shouldn’t be too many problems if everyone follows basic safety practices. 

“I think there are always concerns,” Regan said. “I think just making sure people are spaced out enough. Also, there are so many people that don’t want to get vaccinated or take a vaccine for whatever reason, so that definitely scares me. I think for the most part, we figured out how to be pretty safe, getting our lives back with COVID. I think that if everyone wears masks and maybe sits at every other seat, I think it’ll be okay.” 

Freshman Manuel Gasper recently went to an AMC movie theater and followed the health precautions implemented by the theater. The presence of smaller crowds allowed his experience to be safer with more manageable social distancing.

“There were only like 10 people in the theater, so there was a lot of social distancing,” Gasper said. “I’m not sure if this is a COVID thing, but they also did not accept cash, which is weird to me.”

To ensure that movie theaters are as safe as they can be for attendants, additional safety measures must be developed behind the scenes. Customers have needed to be more diligent with online registration as well. 

“Most theaters have brand-new cleaning procedures and even schedule the movie times further apart to ensure their cleaning crew can be diligent,” Harkrider said. “When you buy the tickets for your party, the system will automatically have two seats on either side of your party blocked off so no one else will sit next to you.”

Now, with more people getting vaccinated and having a better understanding of how to prevent the spread of COVID-19, it seems like things might finally be looking up. Moviegoers finally have hope.

“My hope is that this simple joy can be normal for us all again soon,” Harkrider said. “There are so many films that were missed in the past year because it wasn’t safe for us to return to the movies just yet. But now, with vaccination rates going up, everyone learning how to do their part and businesses ensuring safety, all I want is to grab some popcorn, dim those lights and see the latest blockbuster hit.”