Blue Genie Art Bazaar

Interesting and unique handmade art

Graphic by Alexandra Valencia

Jolie Grogan, Staffer

Every year as the holiday season approaches, the Blue Genie Art Bazaar opens up to Austinites, offering the chance to support local artists and community. This year, the Blue GenieĀ  will open for the 22nd year in a row, from Nov. 18 to Dec. 24. The festive scene has local art for sale along with various types of entertainment, such as drinks and movies, known among locals as a place to shop for gifts, check out artwork, or just hangout.Ā 

Local ceramics artist, Kristen Saksa Juen, displayed her work at the Blue Genie Art Bazaar this year. According to her website, she likes her pieces to grow into their own characters and qualities.Ā Ā 

Ā ā€œI create handmade ceramics,ā€ Saska Juen said. ā€œThey spark a connection with nature for modern spaces.ā€Ā 

Ā Ā Saska Juen sells her ceramics online through an Etsy store. Alongside this, Saska Juen is a big fan of the art bazaar and has been a part of it for many years.Ā Ā 

ā€œI have been selling at the Blue Genie Art Bazaar since 2015,ā€ Juen said. ā€œI did not participate in 2021 and I really missed it, so I am glad to be back in 2022.ā€

Saska Juenā€™s favorite part of the Blue Genie Art Bazaar is the local aspect. Saska Juen especially enjoys the atmosphere of the event.Ā 

ā€œI love how Blue Genie Art Bazaar showcases the community of local artists and makers here in Austin,ā€ Saska Juen said. ā€œ[I get to] Discover local artists and makers, meet up with friends, shop unique gifts for the holidays.

Sophomore Karter Henkelman agrees that the art bazaar showcases fantastic local art. According to Henkelman, the Blue Genie is a great place to browse through unique and interesting pieces of art.

ā€œI went to the Blue Genie Art Bazaar last year in late November,ā€ Henkelman said. ā€œI really liked how people didnā€™t try and make conversation as you shopped which decreased the stress around not buying things. Everything was also very curated, and I felt like every booth or area was interesting and fun to browse.ā€Ā 

According to Henkelman, one of her favorite parts of the art bazaar was exploring all of the jewelry available. This year, jewelry vendors include Ashdel, Milk Moon, and Year 901.Ā 

ā€œAll of the parts of the bazaar are so fun to see, so I recommend seeing as much as possible,ā€ Henkelman said. ā€œIf I had to choose, I loved the earrings and rings because there were so many different styles, so everyone can find something they loveā€.

Artist and sophomore, Annabelle Davis, went to the Blue Genie Art Bazaar a couple years ago while shopping for Christmas gifts. According to Davis, the bazaar is a space for creativity and thinking outside of the box, which is something that Davis particularly enjoys.Ā 

ā€œI loved how unique every artist and piece of art was,ā€ Davis said. ā€œA lot of the art was very Austin/Texas themed and special to each artist.ā€

The art bazaar features woodworking, ceramics, clothing, folk art, class art, jewelry, and other art. Davis said she particularly enjoyed seeing the woodworking.Ā 

ā€œI would encourage people to go and see the creative woodworking some of the artists are so skilled at,ā€ Davis said.Ā 

Both Henkelman and Davis agreed that they are looking forward to going again this year. The Blue Genie Art Bazaar is open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily until Dec. 24 when the store closes for the year at 6 p.m..Ā 

ā€œI hope to go again this year because it was so fun the last time I went,ā€ Henkelman said