Mean Girls: A History

Amelia Coleman

Everyone knows who Regina George is—the Queen Bee of North Shore High School in “Mean Girls”. The original “Mean Girls” movie, starring Lindsey Lohan as Cady and Rachel McAdams as Regina, became an instant classic, scoring $130.1 million at the box office on premiere day. This movie was so popular that in 2018, the “Mean Girls” musical premiered on Broadway, and it was nominated for 12 Tonys that same year. As the 20th anniversary of the original movie’s release approached, the new “Mean Girls” movie musical was announced in 2020. And what better way to celebrate Mean Girls’ 20th birthday than by having Renée Rapp (one of the actresses who played Regina on Broadway) play Regina George? The casting even contains some of the iconic actors from the original movie, including Tina Fey and Tim Meadows revitalizing their roles as Ms. Norbury and Principal Duvall, respectively, and Lindsey Lohan as the Mathletes Moderator. These actors are accompanied by new ones, such as Reneé Rapp as Regina, Auli’i Cravalho as Janice, Angourie Rice as Cady, and Jaquel Spivey as Damien.

April 1, 2002 – Rosalind Wiseman wrote a book titled Queen Bees and Wannabes (which later became the inspiration for this iconic film)

September through November 2003 – Filming took place in Toronto, Canada

April 30, 2004 – “Mean Girls” is released and it grossed $130.1 million worldwide

August 8, 2004 – “Mean Girls” was nominated for the Teen Choice Awards for the categories “Movies – Choice Chemistry” and “Movies – Choice Liar”, and won the categories “Movies – Choice Movie Breakout Star”, “Movies – Choice Blush”, and “Movies – Choice Actress – Comedy”

January 10, 2005 – “Mean Girls” won the Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards for the category “Best Young Actress” given to Lindsay Lohan

April 2, 2005 – “Mean Girls” was nominated for the Kid Choice Awards for the category “Favorite Movie Actress” for Lindsay Lohan

June 4, 2005 – “Mean Girls”: won MTV Movie Awards for the categories “Best On-Screen Team” and “Best On-Screen Performance”

January 23, 2011 – “Mean Girls 2”, a made-for-air sequel, was aired on ABC for the first time

October 2017 – The “Mean Girls” Broadway musical goes through pre-Broadway tryouts in Washington D.C. at the National Theatre

April 8, 2018 – The “Mean Girls” Broadway musical premiered for the first time on Broadway

May 18, 2018 – The “Mean Girls” musical’s Broadway Cast Recording was released

June 10, 2018 – The “Mean Girls” Broadway musical is nominated for 12 Tonys at the 72nd Tony Awards, including “Best Musical”

September 21, 2019 – The “Mean Girls” Broadway musical began its U.S. National Tour

January 2020 – Paramount Pictures announced the new “Mean Girls” movie musical

January 12, 2024 – The “Mean Girls” movie musical was released and grossed $66 million worldwide