Security policy ID badgers students

Hanif Amanullah, Staff Writer

To most students, the new changes to LASA’s security this year were strikingly apparent from the moment they walked through the school’s large purple doors–at least, if they weren’t locked. Over the summer, LASA has taken the precaution of adding new security guard positions, a clear bag-only rule (a district-wide policy, in fact), a front door buzzer, and, of course, those pesky badges. As a returning student, the changes seemed very reasonable considering the multiple school shootings that occured last year alone. However, by lunch on the first day of school, I, like many other students I know, was pretty annoyed.

I get where the idea of wearable ID badges comes from. But there’s something oddly frustrating about having to make my way down the stairs with my ID badge flapping into the faces of other students trying to get upstairs.

Speaking of hallways, the new school door lock system seems to have reduced their efficiency. The need for students to wait at the back doors for someone to open them causes serious problems. Any returning LASA student knows the struggle that accompanies trying to make it from a portable to the purple hallway in a 5 minute passing period. The hallway traffic, already bad, becomes even worse after what can be a minute-plus wait for someone to shove open the back door of the school. I’m pretty sure the hold-up caused by the amount of people trying to funnel themselves through the first floor doors is a serious safety hazard in and of itself.

The new library policy that prohibits students from leaving library before 7:30 a.m. has also caused congestion issues. There’s nothing like sitting on the ground between computer booths because all of the school library’s seats have been filled with people. Keeping students within a confined area until the majority of the school staff has arrived definitely seems like a sound idea, but given the number of kids who arrive at school before 7:30 a.m., the library seems like too small of a place to serve as a holding pen.

Now, I understand how necessary these security protocols are to our school system. The reason behind implementing them is sound: the amount of school-related violence in the past calls for higher security, and a greater need for quick identification of students and their whereabouts.

I also understand that there aren’t many alternatives to the new safety measures we have now. In fact, I’ve even thought about alternatives with other students, and when it comes down to it, the reality is simple: though a lot of these changes are frustrating, they make sense.

The effects of a lot of these changes? Inefficiencies and annoyances. But if we accept their necessity, they will, like most things, get better with time.