Jaguars Football Lined Up for 2019

Anna Thomas, Staff Writer

As the new season starts and the district’s decision games approach, LBJ varsity football players get ready to take on a new season. This year, the Jaguars aim to win district 12-5A D1. LASA sophomore and offensive lineman Jack Long said that in order to achieve sustained success this season, LBJ must prepare adequately for its games. When analyzing the key elements in what it takes to win, Long said more practice could help the team become more consistent.

“As for the team, we want to just be consistent throughout the games,” Long said. “And I’m sure more practice reps will help us improve significantly throughout the oncoming season.”

Long also said it’s important to integrate newer players into the team. According to Long, this can be achieved with practice too.

“This season [there are] a lot of sophomores and juniors that are doing well and I can tell they’re gonna be even better next year,” Long said. “We’ve been working hard to come together and have smooth plays, but it really just takes practice.”

Long believes that there are still a few areas LBJ needs to improve on over the course of the season. To improve on these elements, Long said it is essential to build muscle in the weight room in order to get stronger and faster.

“We lack strength in the offensive line, so really I think the best thing we could do to improve that right now is to get in the weight room and keep working,” Long said. “Bigger players will give us better results in our games.”

While the Jaguars must work on improving themselves individually, the team also studies its opponents to prepare for each game. LASA junior and offensive lineman Diogo Ledesma said he is worried about a few other teams and the direction the team must follow in order to defeat its rivals.

“Dripping Springs is probably the team that is going to give us the hardest time, so is Seguin,” Ledesma said. “Drip is really a very disciplined team and we had trouble playing against them last season pretty much in all general areas. As long as we stay on top of our practices, I am confident we can pull together some really good games this season.”

According to Ledesma, Injuries must also be taken into account when considering the success of the team. Some LBJ players have had to sit out games which can alter the outcome.

“We’ve had quite a lot of injuries so far this year,” Ledesma said. “Oscar Goron broke his ankle, one of our players broke his wrist, someone tore their ACL.”

According to Long, players need to take into account is juggling their love for this sport and their workload at school. Long said he hopes to learn to manage the stress of school combined with the pressure football adds.

“My goals are to balance football and schoolwork during the season and get bigger and stronger,” Long said.

Along with balancing academic and athletic pursuits, coaches encourage players to stay fit. LASA senior quarterback Walker Kohler said his primary goal this season is to avoid injury.

“My personal goal is to not get hurt,” Kohler said. “I make sure to avoid getting hit during games and take caution when we practice.”

Despite the challenges players face, LBJ athletic trainer Sue Torres said the team could succeed in the future. Torres projects the team to do well this season if it can avoid more injuries.

“We should do well,” Torres said. “Although we’ve had some pretty serious injuries so far. However, if our team keeps working diligently, we are looking at a promising season ahead of us.”