Sur-PRIZE! 2023 Teachers Win Awards at LASA

WILLE ACCEPTS AWARD Willie accepts flowers as a congratulations for winning teacher of the year. Willie teaches chemistry and forensics at LASA. photo courtesy of Cosmo Courtois

Aidan Gannon, Staffer

On Jan. 8, 2023, Sophie Pressler won the Teacher of Promise Award, an honor awarded to the best first-year teacher at LASA. This year, Sophie Pressler teaches advanced English 1 and 2. The other award, Teacher of The Year, was presented to Shontel Willie, a chemistry and forensics teacher. The Teacher of the Year is awarded to the teacher who went above and beyond to help their students.

Before becoming a teacher at LASA this school year, Pressler trained as a student teacher, helping the primary teacher and sometimes teaching the class herself. Now, in her own English I and English II classes, Pressler uses various teaching methods she has learned as a student teacher.

“I like to use a good mix of all-class, individual, and group work,” Pressler said. “I think it’s really important to have a mix of these options because they each test different skills.”

Pressler chose this profession because she enjoys teaching people and getting the chance to help students. Since working as an assistant teacher last year at LASA, she said her love for teaching has only grown.

“I really enjoy helping people,” Pressler said, “I am good at helping people, and I have always been good at teaching things I didn’t fully understand.”

Ossiel Blanchard, a freshman in Pressler’s English I class, has enjoyed taking her class. She said can see why Pressler received the Teacher of Promise Award given her enthusiasm as a teacher.

“Ms. Pressler is really nice and open to student’s ideas on any particular topic or part of what we may be discussing,” Blanchard said. “She is also super helpful and understanding in terms of assisting students with an assignment.”

Eliza Hawley is another freshman in Pressler’s English 1 class. Hawley said that Pressler works hard to make sure all
students understand what’s going on in class.

“Ms. Pressler is really talented, and works really hard to help her students,” Hawley said.“whether by reading through an essay in office hours, or spending time making the lessons engaging with kahoots and video clips.”

Isaac Braman-Ray is also a freshman in Pressler’s English I class that is enjoying her teaching style. He said that the class has pushed him to be more outgoing and engage in class discussion.

“The class is interactive and even though English is my least favorite subject, it is enjoyable,” Braman-Ray said. “And I’ve gained some social skills, which is helpful because I’m usually pretty shy.”

Braman-Ray adds that a lot of his enjoyment of English comes from Pressler’s willingness to help her students. According to Braman-Ray, Pressler won’t leave students who don’t understand behind.

“The teacher is friendly and helpful,” Braman-Ray said. “She is understanding about outside circumstances and is willing to give extensions.”

Shontel Willie, the teacher of the year, is another teacher known for her helpfulness. Like Pressler, she also mixes up her teaching style.

“My teaching methods have been flipped classroom and station,” Willie said. “We’ve gone back and forth between lectures and using the station rotation method. I’ve found that station rotation and flipped classroom are more engaging for students. This allows them to do more activities in class, and it’s more interactive for them.”

Willie has taught at LASA for six years. Prior to teaching, she spent 12 years as an environmental chemist.

“I was meant to teach,” Willie said. “I have always wanted to be a teacher since I was 38.”

Willie loves how unpredictable teaching can be. Though some professions become repetitive over time, Willie explains that students ensure each year is unique.

“Teaching is an adventure. Every day,” Willie said. “That’s what I love about it, it’s not the same thing every day — each day will be different.”

TEACHER OF PROMISE PROMISES FUN IN ENGLISH Sophie Pressler teaches freshmen students about Macbeth. Pressler calls on students for an engaging class discussion. photo by Delia Rune