The student-run newspaper of the Liberal Arts and Science Academy

The Liberator

The Liberator

The Liberator

Female Movies go Gerwig

Reviewing Films Directed by Greta Gerwig
Amelia Coleman

Films directed by Greta Gerwig often explore the relationships between women, and for Lady Bird, that relationship is between mother and daughter. Lady Bird is a story of motherhood, daughterhood, and the changing of those bonds when coming of age. It’s also a painfully accurate story depicting identity and how we grapple with the way we were born versus the identity we are making for ourselves.

Amelia Coleman

Little Women is a winter classic filled with warm tones and baked goods that are almost possible to smell through the screen. The movie is sisterhood and girlhood tied up in a comforting package. However, it’s also a slightly depressing and truthful tale of the realities of life. The dramatic themes of love and loss played out in 1860s Massechusets are themes that continue to be relevant today. Gerwig’s adaptation of Little Women is one that exemplifies sisterhood: the highs and the lows, and everything in between.

Amelia Coleman

Barbie is a new star-studded film that explores what it means to be a woman. This Gerwig movie portrays relationships between all women — from the president to the most stereotypical Barbie, the women in Barbie Land represent all of the hopes and dreams of little girls around the world. Barbie is another one of Gerwig’s heartfelt movies that still reflects the harsh reality of the negativity that comes from being a woman.