The student-run newspaper of the Liberal Arts and Science Academy

The Liberator

The Liberator

The Liberator

Editor’s Picks: Favorite Concert

Megan Gerold

Flipturn

Katie Busby | Entertainment Editor

South by Southwest (SXSW) has been such an important part of my newspaper experience; getting the chance to go out and see downtown Austin come alive is something I look forward to every year. My first year attending SXSW was the second time I saw the band Flipturn live in concert, having first seen the five-piece indie rock band from Florida the previous fall, becoming even more captivated with their music after the show. As I had been obsessing over this band, I convinced my friends to listen to their music, making two of my close friends fans of theirs as well. This meant that when we saw their name on the SXSW lineup we were so excited to get a chance to see them. The day came and we made our way through the crowds enveloping 6th Street to reach Esther’s Follies, one of the most unique venues that I have had the pleasure of frequenting during the festival. The crowd was smaller and we packed in by the small stage and marveled at how close they were going to be when they performed. As the band neared the beginning of the show the lights dimmed and colorful spotlights in neon greens, pinks, and blues played across the faces of the musicians in front of me. The opening song started and I realized just how much I love this band, the opening melody coming from the guitars perfectly matching the lyrics and vocals, putting the audience in a trance. The fever-dream energy of their shows is so magical I just keep going back.

Megan Gerold

The Lumineers

Megan Gerold | Entertainment Editor

When my family, friends, and I walked into the Moody Center to see The Lumineers, we weren’t expecting anything extraordinary. Our seats were pushed against the wall, at the highest point in the venue, as far from the stage as you could be, and we were honestly just scoping it out to see where we would be for our upcoming Harry Styles concert. Despite this, when James Bay came on stage I was rocked with the sound and energy emanating around the room. Austin has always been a place built for live music, but I felt as if this was a shrine solely dedicated to the god that is sound. Then, when The Lumineers started playing with a shining mirrorball raised above their heads, I was left dumbfounded by their ability to craft a feeling so beyond the room. As they worked through their setlist of iconic song after iconic song, I was suddenly 8 years old again, driving home from dinner with my family screaming the lyrics to a song I had only recently learned to read. They were never in one place, moving endlessly around the stage and constantly playing off of each other and the crowd. I have always considered myself a Lumineers fan, but this concert launched me into an endless love for their discography that I now know by heart. When people ask me what my music taste is, I gush over this night and the palpable feelings of joy that The Lumineers can weave no matter where they are.

Megan Gerold

The Cure

Annabel Andre | Editor-in-Chief

The crowd pushed at me from all sides and, despite standing on my tiptoes, I could barely peak above the sea of heads spread out in front of me. But nothing could waver the big smile plastered on my face. The music reverberating in my ears transported me to car rides with my mom, windows rolled down, screaming the lyrics of “Boys Don’t Cry” and “Just Like Heaven”. So, when I realized that the Austin City Limits tickets my friend Violet had gifted me meant I could see The Cure, I just about squealed. Every day leading up to what seemed like the most important day of my life to eleven-year-old me felt like years, and the hours just before the show under the harsh and sweltering sun in Zilker Park somehow seemed even longer. But all the waiting was worth it once lead singer Robert Smith stepped out on stage and the comforting harmonies of “Pictures of You” spilled across the crowd. The sunburn on my neck, my aching feet, and the hot sticky night air that wrapped around me were soon forgotten as I chanted every lyric from memory. My first concert had been even better than I could have imagined.

Megan Gerold

Bruno Major

Asha Rountree | Graphics Editor

At my first concert, Greer at Empire Garage, two summers ago, I found myself pleasantly lost in the bright music, dim lights, and collective enthusiasm of the crowd and the band. Ever since, I’ve become obsessed with the experience of live music, despite the considerable dent that tickets and merch leave in my wallet. One of the most memorable recent concerts I attended was Bruno Major at Mohawk last September. As much as I love a loud and energizing concert, I’m partial to softer, intimate shows, especially when I’m not being elbowed in the ribs every few minutes. Bruno Major’s music is a beautiful blend of R&B-Pop, Jazz, and Soul, accompanied by poetic songwriting. Seeing him at Mohawk was amazing because the venue is layered so that everyone in the audience has a clear, close-up view, and my friend Ava Hernandez and I were able to thoroughly enjoy the smooth waves of instrumentals washing over us and the friendly energy of the band. My favorite song performed was “We Were Never Really Friends,” and I loved the random improvisation moments. The opener at that show, Lindsey Lomis, also had some super impressive vocal runs, and I’m so glad I got the chance to be introduced to her music. Because I can’t just pick one, another great concert that my friend Josie Long and I attended was Ichiko Aoba, a Japanese Folk singer and guitarist, who performed at the Paramount. Her ethereal vocals and intricate finger-picking were dreamy, warm, and emotionally touching to the point where we heard quiet sniffles around us: proof that music transcends the language barrier.