The student-run newspaper of the Liberal Arts and Science Academy

The Liberator

The Liberator

The Liberator

Improvements Coming to iMessage

Apple and Android Communication Set to Change

Apple has been making changes to improve texting between iPhones and Android devices, addressing the long-standing compatibility issues. These upgrades aim to bridge the gap in communication features like read receipts and high-quality image sharing, which were previously exclusive to iPhone-to-iPhone messaging.

Users of Android and Apple devices have both expressed complaints, according to Digital Trends. The inability to send Android users full-resolution images or videos and the green text bubbles in iMessage are just two elements that frequently annoy Apple customers. In addition, Android users are often unable to participate in group conversations, and they cannot access certain messaging services that are exclusive to iPhone users like Check In and iMessage Apps. While the green bubbles are here to stay, there will be new capabilities including group messaging, read receipts, photo quality improvements, and less overall frustration when texting Android users. 

Eesha Hariharan, a freshman at LASA, claims that messaging Android users feels like a communication barrier, mostly because of the group chat limitations. According to Hariharan, if Apple had to keep a feature, it would be the green bubble or at least another way to be able to determine whether you are texting an Android or Apple device.

Esther Harrelson, another freshman at LASA, has an Android phone and says that she is looking forward to this update because she is excited to finally be able to receive high-quality images. Harrelson also finds the group chat feature irritating and is annoyed by having to text people individually instead of all together. 

“It’s really annoying texting my friends and having them email me to show me a picture,” Harrelson said. “I can’t wait for the update. If I could change one feature about texting Apple, I would choose to fix the group chat feature, so I can be included in group chats with my friends and family.”

Why is Apple updating their Android-Apple texting? One reason could be the app Nothing, which recently introduced a feature allowing Apple and Android users to text with the full functionality of iMessage. The non-Apple users were included in group chats, texts from Android devices were blue, and high-resolution pictures and videos could be exchanged. Nothing was not the first app to do this; WhatsApp, AirMessage, and other programs have also used these features to enhance the texting experience between the two ecosystems. With this constant competition, Apple has decided to update and improve communication with Android users.

Both iPhone and Android users have found the texting obstacles frustrating, with Android users often bearing the brunt of it. From missing out on group chat features to dealing with low-quality media, it’s been a challenge. However, it appears that Apple will step up in 2024 to make things right, closing the gap and making messaging more enjoyable for everyone.