New College Counselor

Annabel Andre

As LASA seniors scramble to meet college deadlines, they turn to college counselors for advice to help them finalize their college materials. This year, Rubi Zeledón has joined the college guidance team as a new college counselor for the school. She will be in charge of seniors with A-L last names. 

Previously, Zeledón has had experience as a college counselor for 11 years in Nicaragua, but she expects there will be some differences in her responsibilities and experience here at LASA. While in Nicaragua, Zeledón was more of a general counselor for seniors rather than strictly an academic one. Although some aspects of her job are the same, the major differences she is experiencing at LASA are mainly an increased number of students she works with and a more specific area of focus she works with them on.

It’s bigger, that I can tell you, a lot more students,” Zeledón said. “In my previous job, I was in charge of 60 students, here I’m in charge of more than 100. Also, in my previous job, I was also the social-emotional counselor for seniors. Here, I’m able to focus mainly on college applications and the college application process for students.”

For senior Bahar Aghili, meetings with Zeledón have been incredibly helpful as she prepares to apply for college. Her meetings have been filled with advice on college essays, how to fill out her Common Application, and narrowing down the list of colleges she wants to apply to.  

“When I had my meeting with her, we discussed specific supplemental essays of mine,” Aghili said. “She really opened me up to new ideas and was really supportive, but also guided my choices in a way that was beneficial to me and really helped me realize what the question of the supplemental prompt was asking.”

Senior Mia Larson has also had meetings with Zeledón and said that she has made her feel more confident about the college application process. Larson feels that Zeledón relieves some of the stress seniors take from trying to find colleges that fit them and navigating the application process.

I would recommend other seniors talk to her, especially if they don’t have a private counselor,” Larson said, “or [if they] are feeling behind or confused about any aspects of the application process. She reviewed my college list and my personal statement and provided feedback that I will definitely use to revise them.”

Zeledón has met with over 50 students so far and said she has loved every single meeting. She wants to give the students time to communicate with her and hopes they will come to believe in her.

“I want to be an asset of support for students,” Zeledón said. “Someone who students can reach out to get guidance to pursue and achieve their dreams. Whenever I get to meet with students, I just feel so happy and I leave so happy.”

COLLEGE COUNSELOR AT WORK | Rubi Zeledón works at her desk in the college center. Seniors come by to get help on essays and applications. (Annabel Andre)